1. Before starting, read all planting instructions, planting tips, and maintenance.
2. Select flat areas with well-drained soils that hold some moisture. Avoid sandy soils, soils that are too moist, and hillsides that drain quickly. An ideal soil bed is well prepared, fertile, firm, and moist. More Wildlife: Brassica, Radish & Turnip Mix works best in light to heavy soil types.
3. Test and adjust soil pH to 6.5-7.0
i. If no soil test is available, add 2 tons of lime/acre for new food plots, or 1 ton/acre for established food plots that have been limed previously. Note* To speed things up skip to step #4 before applying lime while you are waiting for soil test to come back.
4. Check rules for your state and weed-kill if allowable and kill all weeds before planting this seed. Use herbicide weed control or tillage. Follow the directions for the weed-kill product you have purchased. Do not move to step 5 until you have waited at least 7 days after weed-kill has been applied.
5. Disc harrow or till thoroughly and then repeat after 5 days if needed. Do not over-till; doing so will result in loss of moisture. Then drag an old box spring mattress, chain-link fence, or ATV harrow-drag to smooth out plot & roll with heavy roller or cultipacker before planting. Never plant seed deeper than ¼”.
6. Add 200 #’s/acre of 15-15-15 or 19-19-19 or equivalent fertilizer. However, 19-19-19 is a better fertilizer for More Wildlife: Brassica, Radish & Turnip Mix. Fertilizer and seed should be done consecutive.
7. Before broadcasting seed, make sure light rain is in the near forecast.
a. For Brassica, Radish & Turnip Mix, broadcast 10 lbs./acre
i. After broadcasting seed, roll with either a heavy-roller, cultipacker, or drive ATV over seed to ensure better seed-to-soil contact for better germination. Rolling is preferred.
8. 3-4 weeks after planting, or when plot reaches 4-6 inches tall, fertilize with Urea (46-0-0) at the rate of 100#’s/acre or equivalent fertilizer. If plants show signs of yellowing you may apply one more application of Urea (46-0-0) at 6-8 weeks. Apply fertilizer when plants are dry and rain is predicted within 24 hours otherwise fertilizer will dissipate.
1. Lime requires time to change pH, add lime as early as possible.
2. Avoid hot weather; plant when rain is in the near forecast.
3. Plant More Wildlife: Brassica, Radish & Turnip Mix August 1-15th (Northern Planting Zone 4).
Check your planting zone at www.morewildlife.net
4. Mix seed by hand in original package before pouring into seeder.
5. When broadcasting seed, mix with play sand for better distribution.
6. Do Not Mow. Replant annually
7. Radish may reseed itself and might have to be tilled into the soil in the spring.
8. Never plant More Wildlife: Brassica, Radish & Turnip Mix in the same spot more than 2 years in a row.
(Brassica, Radish, & Turnip Mix)